There are more than 45 companies participating in the Tech Career Expo at the Moscone Center in San Francisco on June 28-29, and the number of attendees is expected to exceed 2,000. How will you set yourself apart? Follow these best practices to make the most of your time with the companies you will meet:
Do Pre-Expo homework. Research the companies and make a top ten list of those you want to visit. Researching the companies may sound obvious, but having that head start and focusing on the companies whose roles and technologies truly appeal to you first, will provide a roadmap and ensure that you accomplish your objectives. Researching and understanding the businesses beforehand will also help you have knowledgeable conversations and make memorable impressions on the company representatives.
Keep it simple. Don’t bring a 6-page resume listing every technology and language you know. List the technologies which you have the most experience. Bring a resume that is no more than 2 pages and if a company on your resume is not well-known, add 1 – 2 sentences describing the company and technology.
Engage the decision maker. Some companies will have the hiring manager at the Career Expo, try to meet with him/her and discuss the role and your accomplishments. Remember to get business cards!
Follow up after the Career Expo. If you made good connections with the representatives, send follow-up emails reiterating a specific fact from your conversation. This will show that you weren’t just a face in the crowd.
These tips will help you focus on the companies and opportunities that are best matched to your career plans. Make an impact with your knowledge and expertise and you are sure to set yourself apart from the crowd!
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- DHX Media Partners with YouTube on Paid Channels
- DreamWorks, Verizon Team on Million Dollar Turbo Racing League App Promo
- Apple App Store Hits 50 Billion Downloads
- Google Introduces Google Play for Education
- Kids Use iHeart Locket “Smart Necklace” to Connect with Diary App
- Warner Bros. Targets Girls with LEGO Friends for Nintendo
- AppCertain App Monitoring Service Debuts First App
- Rovio to Publish Third Party Titles Under New Rovio Stars Mobile Game Brand
- CPTV Partners with Ruckus Media to Create Digital Platform
- Saban Brands Welcomes Jack Sorensen as President of Mobile Social Games Division
- Affinegy Names Frank LaBarbera SVP World Wide Sales and Marketing
- Austin’s tech scene 2001 vs 2011: Fewer workers but healthier ecosystem
- CM First USA to Move to Tech Ranch Austin
- Austin Launching ‘Office of Innovation’; Forum Planned for August
- ProspX Collects $8.2M
- GILA LLC Works with Encryptics on Secure Data Management as a Solution
- HotSchedules Partners with Scoox to Deliver e-Learning Solution
- RetailMeNot to Integrate Google Wallet
- Silverback Enterprise Group Management Company Acquires FileBound
- Getting Accepted Into Top Incubators and Accelerators
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available
- Digital Kids Conference Earlybird Registration Extended to Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Digital Kids Conference Keynote Spotlight: Victor Lee of Hasbro
- Early Bird Registration for Digital Kids Conference Ends Next Week