Welcome to the Engage Digital Wrap-Up for the week of February 5, 2011. The Wrap-Up is where Engage Digital spotlights stories that we didn’t get to cover individually, but still make for interesting reading about the business of user engagement.
- China’s Tencent Buys Riot Games For $400 Million: Tencent has spent $400 million to acquire Riot Games, developer of the freemium online game League of Legends. Tencent had already participated in an $8 million round of funding for Riot Games before.
- Derek Smart’s 3000AD Announces Free-To-Play MMO: Industry veteran Derek Smart’s company, 3000AD, is partnering with Quest Online to issue a new freemium MMO called Line of Defense, in partnership with Alganon publisher Quest Online.
- EA: Facebook Has 290M Gamers: In a statement issued alongside this week’s earnings report, EA CEO John Schappert stated the EA would focus more on the Facebook platform in the coming year. Schappert says that there are now 290 million gamers active on the Facebook platform.
- Facebook Is Moving To Menlo Park: Next week Facebook will formally announce it planned move from Palo Alto to the former Sun Microsystems campus at Menlo Park.
- Gamepot USA Shutting Down Fantasy Earth Zero: Gamepot USA has announced that it will shut down servers for Fantasy Earth: Zero on March 21st, less than a year after the game’s launch.
- Glu Mobile To Develop Rich Mobile Games: Glu Mobile plans to release its Gun Bros free-to-play mobile game in “high-def” form for Android tablets running the version 3.0 Honeycomb operating system. Gun Bros on Honeycomb will feature full 3D graphics.
- Pop Rocket Games Forces To Create Social, Mobile Games: New developer Pop Rocket games has formed and plans to release games for Facebook and the App Store.
- Stacking Up Facebook Games: IGN estimates how much revenue various top social games are likely to be generating and pits it against known revenue generated by top console games.
- THQ Launches UFC Undisputed: Fight Nation On Facebook: THQ has launched a Facebook social version of its UFC Undisputed series of MMA console games.
- Trinigy Scores Major Deal To Supply The9: The9 plans to use Trinigy’s Vision Engine to build a freemium MMORPG.
- Zynga Brings Words With Friends To Android, Still Waiting On FarmVille: Zynga has announced that it will port the popular iOS game Words With Friends for Android handsets.
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara