Flash gaming portal Kongregate has launched a new, free app for Android called Kongregate Arcade. The app acts as a portal, taking a user to a library of over 300 Kongregate games that have been carefully ported and tweaked for play on Android devices. Kongregate plans to update the app with more games every week. The app even lets users pick out favorite games and download up roughly half of them for offline play, a feature probably intended for users who have limited data plans.
Kongregate’s Web offering is a gathering place for Flash games, where developers can choose to add virtual goods or simply let users tip them with the site’s virtual currency, Kongregate Kreds. Kongregate adds achievements to popular games and an interface that runs along the side of each game, letting users chat with each other and rate the game. Developers are actively participating in Kongregate Arcade, altering their own games to support touchscreen controls and optimizing the graphics display. Kongregate partnered with Adobe to work on porting its Flash games for Android last year.
Kongregate Arcade is meant to compliment Kongregate’s mobile site, which offers the Web versions of games for all smartphones that can run Flash in a mobile browser. Running Kongregate Arcade will only be possible on Android handsets updated to at least version 2.2, nicknamed Froyo, updated for Flash version 10.1. The mobile app offers some of the same features as the site, such as the ability to rate games, create user profiles, earn achievements, and leave comments.
Kongregate may issue apps for other Flash-friendly OSes like WebOS and Windows Phone 7. An iPhone version is unlikely, but Kongregate Arcade is already compatible with upcoming tablet devices like the Samsung Galaxy Tab. Right now Kongregate Arcade intends to monetize primarily through advertising. Kongregate works with a total of 8500 developers and its Website serves around 13 million users. Kongregate was acquired last year by GameStop, which intends to promote the Kongregate Arcade app through its 4600 retail locations nationwide.
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit – Sept. 19 in San Francisco
- Microsoft Unveils Xbox One
- Microsoft to Reveal Next-Generation Xbox
- DHX Media Partners with YouTube on Paid Channels
- DreamWorks, Verizon Team on Million Dollar Turbo Racing League App Promo
- Apple App Store Hits 50 Billion Downloads
- Google Introduces Google Play for Education
- Kids Use iHeart Locket “Smart Necklace” to Connect with Diary App
- Warner Bros. Targets Girls with LEGO Friends for Nintendo
- AppCertain App Monitoring Service Debuts First App
- NASA Grants Austin Tech Company $125M for 3D Printer Outerspace Initiative
- Compare Metrics Collects $4.2M
- Open Labs Raises $800K from Timbaland
- SolarWinds Acquires N-able Technologies
- Postmaster Closes $600K Seed Investment Round
- YouEarnedIt Welcomes New CEO Steve Semelsberger
- Emerging Technology Fund to Receive $50M
- Vista Equity Partners to Acquire Websense, Inc.
- Affinegy Names Frank LaBarbera SVP World Wide Sales and Marketing
- Austin’s tech scene 2001 vs 2011: Fewer workers but healthier ecosystem
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit in San Francisco on Sept. 19, 2013
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available
- Digital Kids Conference Earlybird Registration Extended to Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Digital Kids Conference Keynote Spotlight: Victor Lee of Hasbro