Welcome to the Engage Digital Wrap-Up for the week of January 15, 2011. The Wrap-Up is where Engage Digital spotlights stories that we didn’t get to cover individually, but still make for interesting reading about the business of user engagement.
- Buffalo Wild Wings Gets Interactive With SCVNGR Promo: SCVNGR is launching a basketball-themed promo with the Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant chain that lets users earn prizes like wings and Coca-Cola that are redeemable on the spot by doing things like taking photos of themselves with a fan from a rival team.
- Facebook Shares Hit $28.26 Per Share, That’s A $70+ Billion Valuation: SecondMarket is trading Facebook shares again, which are hitting record highs. Facebook’s share price has been appreciating rapidly since the beginning of last month.
- Former Blizzard Executive Named President Of Gazillion Entertainment: Former Blizzard North President and Diablo creator David Brevik has been named President and COO of Gazillion Entertainment.
- Foursquare Explains Itself Better To Businesses And Brands: Foursquare has launched a “Foursquare For Business” page that encourages both businesses and brands to claim venues and partner with Foursquare.
- Impact Of Cataclysm On Warcraft Gold Farming: The latest World of Warcraft expansion, Cataclysm, has forced gold farmers to change their behavior… but not to stop farming gold.
- More Evidence That Facebook Is Nearing 600 Million Users: Goldman Sachs is telling potential investors that Facebook has passed 600 million users, while statistics portal Socialbakers says that Facebook is still about 4 million users shy of the target. A former Facebook employee claims Facebook passed 600 million users late last year.
- Perfect World Bringing Rusty Hearts MMO To America: Perfect World Entertainment is partnering with WindySoft to localize a new action-oriented free-to-play MMO, Rusty Hearts. Perfect World plans to debut the title at this year’s E3 Expo.
- Personal Hotspots Coming To All iPhones In March: The “personal hotspot” feature of Verizon’s iPhone will be rolled out to all iPhones this March as part of iOS 4.3. Implementation will be “carrier-specific.”
- Runes Of Magic Prepping Queensland Flood Relief Effort: Runes of Magic’s Queensland-based publisher, N3V, will donate half the proceeds from sales of certain cash shop items to Queensland flood relief efforts. The charity drive sale begins on January 15 and wraps up on January 23.
- Verizon iPads Finally Ditch MiFi Cards For Real Connectivity: As part of Verizon’s iPhone deal with apple, users will finally be able to connect iPads directly to Verizon’s wireless network. Verizon has sold the iPad since October of last year.
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara