Welcome to the Virtual Worlds News Wrap-Up for the week of August 14, 2010. The Wrap-Up is where VWN spotlights stories that we didn't get to cover individually, but still make for interesting reading about the virtual worlds industry.
- High Engagement Means More Virtual Goods Sales For Meez, ComScore's Most Engaging Virtual World: Meez draws the best engagement rates of any virtual world according to ComScore, which CEO John Cahill says translated directly into power users spending lots of money on virtual goods to enhance their status within the community.
- In The Driver's Seat Of 'Cars' Online Community: The Los Angeles Times's Company Town profiles Disney Product Director Rachel DiPaola, who oversaw development of the newly launched World of Cars Online virtual world. She describes adapting the look of Pixar's original film, which featured high-quality 3D animation, to a simple browser-based engine as one of the project's greatest development challenges.
- No, Chris Pirillo, Gambling And Porn Didn't "Overrun" Second Life (But Uninformed Analysis Did): The Social Times objects to the stereotype that Second Life's growth was damaged by pornographic and gambling content, pointing out that even now only 18% of Second Life's content is flagged mature and that gambling was banned shortly before Second Life's growth hit a plateau in 2008.
- Why Virtual Worlds Suck For Business– And Some Solutions: Hypergrid Business discusses the need for Second Life and other virtual worlds, even enterprise worlds, to incorporate more game-like mechanics like achievements to drive engagements. The piece also tackles the problem of 3D virtual worlds frequently having poor or clunky user interfaces, which can make simply moving around a world difficulty. The piece suggests some ways of making enterprise virtual worlds feel more immersive, such as preparing customized avatars that resemble their users and trying to animate avatar behaviors in a virtual world more naturally.
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- DHX Media Partners with YouTube on Paid Channels
- DreamWorks, Verizon Team on Million Dollar Turbo Racing League App Promo
- Apple App Store Hits 50 Billion Downloads
- Google Introduces Google Play for Education
- Kids Use iHeart Locket “Smart Necklace” to Connect with Diary App
- Warner Bros. Targets Girls with LEGO Friends for Nintendo
- AppCertain App Monitoring Service Debuts First App
- Rovio to Publish Third Party Titles Under New Rovio Stars Mobile Game Brand
- CPTV Partners with Ruckus Media to Create Digital Platform
- Saban Brands Welcomes Jack Sorensen as President of Mobile Social Games Division
- Austin Launching ‘Office of Innovation’; Forum Planned for August
- ProspX Collects $8.2M
- GILA LLC Works with Encryptics on Secure Data Management as a Solution
- HotSchedules Partners with Scoox to Deliver e-Learning Solution
- RetailMeNot to Integrate Google Wallet
- Silverback Enterprise Group Management Company Acquires FileBound
- Getting Accepted Into Top Incubators and Accelerators
- TechStars Opens Applications in Austin
- Building and Extracting Value from an Advisory Board
- ProspX Names Steve Gold New CEO
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available
- Digital Kids Conference Earlybird Registration Extended to Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Digital Kids Conference Keynote Spotlight: Victor Lee of Hasbro
- Early Bird Registration for Digital Kids Conference Ends Next Week