Welcome to the Virtual Goods News Wrap-Up for the week of August 14, 2010. The Wrap-Up is where VGN spotlights stories that we didn't get to cover individually, but still make for interesting reading about the virtual goods industry.
- A Reason To Enjoy Friday The 13th – F2P!: The troubled MMO Alganon is going entirely free-to-play in the future. Users who purchased the client software in the past will get bonus features automatically that free players have to purchase through microtransactions. For the first week of Alganon as a freemium game, free users will be able to purchase all service add-ons for $19.95.
- Sony Online Entertainment Brings Domo To Free Realms: Sony Online has closed a deal with Virtual Greats and Big Tent Entertainment to introduce a branded virtual pet and a line of other virtual goods based on Japanese television station NHK's mascot Domo-kun. The character has also appeared in shorts on Nickelodeon and in advertisements for Target and 7-Eleven.
- Study: 2010 MMO Market To Reach $8 Billion: The worldwide market for MMOs will grow to $8 billion this year, owing in large part to the rapid growth of Asian MMOs that use the freemium virtual goods business model.
- Zynga Hires Former Facebook, MySpace Exec Owen Van Natta: After stepping down from MySpace, Owen Van Natta became an advisor to Zynga. Now, Van Natta is joining Zynga as Executive Vice President of Business, reporting directly to Mark Pincus.
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- DHX Media Partners with YouTube on Paid Channels
- DreamWorks, Verizon Team on Million Dollar Turbo Racing League App Promo
- Apple App Store Hits 50 Billion Downloads
- Google Introduces Google Play for Education
- Kids Use iHeart Locket “Smart Necklace” to Connect with Diary App
- Warner Bros. Targets Girls with LEGO Friends for Nintendo
- AppCertain App Monitoring Service Debuts First App
- Rovio to Publish Third Party Titles Under New Rovio Stars Mobile Game Brand
- CPTV Partners with Ruckus Media to Create Digital Platform
- Saban Brands Welcomes Jack Sorensen as President of Mobile Social Games Division
- Austin Launching ‘Office of Innovation’; Forum Planned for August
- ProspX Collects $8.2M
- GILA LLC Works with Encryptics on Secure Data Management as a Solution
- HotSchedules Partners with Scoox to Deliver e-Learning Solution
- RetailMeNot to Integrate Google Wallet
- Silverback Enterprise Group Management Company Acquires FileBound
- Getting Accepted Into Top Incubators and Accelerators
- TechStars Opens Applications in Austin
- Building and Extracting Value from an Advisory Board
- ProspX Names Steve Gold New CEO
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available
- Digital Kids Conference Earlybird Registration Extended to Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Digital Kids Conference Keynote Spotlight: Victor Lee of Hasbro
- Early Bird Registration for Digital Kids Conference Ends Next Week