Zynga has acquired the Beijing-based social game developer XPD Media for an undisclosed sum. In addition, Zynga announced its intend to open a new Beijing studio that would serve as its second international branch office. Zynga opened a studio in Bangalore, India in March. XPD's 40 employees will immediately be integrated into Zynga's global workforce.
XPD Media was one of China's largest social developers and one of the few to release its games internationally. The company's CEO, Robin Chen, will become Zynga's new General Manager of Asia Business Operations. XPD co-founder Andy Tian, one of Google China's first employees, will lead the Zynga Beijing studio.
XPD marks Zynga's fourth major acquisition, following YoVille, Serious Business, and My Mini Life. Zynga usually acquires talent moreso than users and that appears to be the case with XPD. Zynga intends to hire a CTO, HR manager, and some software engineers to supplement the developers and engineers already on staff.
Before this acquisition Zynga had no real presence in the Southeast Asian social game market, let alone the rapidly-growing Chinese market. Now it's joining competitors like RockYou and Playfish in trying to bring Western social games back into the world's first true virtual goods economy. The XPD acquisition brings Zynga's worldwide employee headcount to 846.
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- Microsoft Unveils Xbox One
- Microsoft to Reveal Next-Generation Xbox
- DHX Media Partners with YouTube on Paid Channels
- DreamWorks, Verizon Team on Million Dollar Turbo Racing League App Promo
- Apple App Store Hits 50 Billion Downloads
- Google Introduces Google Play for Education
- Kids Use iHeart Locket “Smart Necklace” to Connect with Diary App
- Warner Bros. Targets Girls with LEGO Friends for Nintendo
- AppCertain App Monitoring Service Debuts First App
- Rovio to Publish Third Party Titles Under New Rovio Stars Mobile Game Brand
- Postmaster Closes $600K Seed Investment Round
- YouEarnedIt Welcomes New CEO Steve Semelsberger
- Emerging Technology Fund to Receive $50M
- Vista Equity Partners to Acquire Websense, Inc.
- Affinegy Names Frank LaBarbera SVP World Wide Sales and Marketing
- Austin’s tech scene 2001 vs 2011: Fewer workers but healthier ecosystem
- CM First USA to Move to Tech Ranch Austin
- Austin Launching ‘Office of Innovation’; Forum Planned for August
- ProspX Collects $8.2M
- GILA LLC Works with Encryptics on Secure Data Management as a Solution
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available
- Digital Kids Conference Earlybird Registration Extended to Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Digital Kids Conference Keynote Spotlight: Victor Lee of Hasbro
- Early Bird Registration for Digital Kids Conference Ends Next Week