Welcome to the Virtual Goods News Wrap-Up for the week of December 18, 2009. The Wrap-Up is where VGN spotlights stories that we didn't get to cover individually, but still make for interesting reading about the virtual goods industry.
Dungeons & Dragons license holder Hasbro has filed suit against Atari, publisher of the freemium Dungeon & Dragons Online MMORPG. Hasbro alleges that Atari has sublicensed certain digital rights regarding their Dungeons & Dragons games to Namco Bandai, which violates a no-compete clause in Hasbro's contract with Atari.
Now T-Mobile users with Android phones can charge transactions (and in-app microtransactions) to their carrier instead of to their credit card. It is hoped that this lowers payment friction, leading to more purchases of digital content on the platform.
Players of CrowdStar's Happy Island can only purchase the game's virtual currency with Facebook Credits. Even in prior tests of the Pay with Facebook option, it was usually offered as one of several.
Heyzap profiles one of the developers using its Flash platform that's integrated virtual goods into its game. OneExtraGamed discusses which virtual items it integrates into its game Agony: The Portal, how the items were designed, and how the company settled on how to promote virtual items to players.
Gamasutra's Brandon Sheffield discusses the virtue of owning physical copies of media and the potential folly of pouring money into purchases of virtual goods that are little more than lines of code. Because virtual goods lack physicality, Sheffield argues they are fundamentally useless, without ability to satisfy needs or even be resold.
Arctic Start-Up follows up on the layoffs at Sulake earlier this year, noting that the total layoff count topped out at 28. The article claims, based on an anonymous source, that while Sulake is now profitable, the mood at the company is now poor and some key employees have left of their own volition recently.
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit – Sept. 19 in San Francisco
- Microsoft Unveils Xbox One
- Microsoft to Reveal Next-Generation Xbox
- DHX Media Partners with YouTube on Paid Channels
- DreamWorks, Verizon Team on Million Dollar Turbo Racing League App Promo
- Apple App Store Hits 50 Billion Downloads
- Google Introduces Google Play for Education
- Kids Use iHeart Locket “Smart Necklace” to Connect with Diary App
- Warner Bros. Targets Girls with LEGO Friends for Nintendo
- AppCertain App Monitoring Service Debuts First App
- NASA Grants Austin Tech Company $125M for 3D Printer Outerspace Initiative
- Compare Metrics Collects $4.2M
- Open Labs Raises $800K from Timbaland
- SolarWinds Acquires N-able Technologies
- Postmaster Closes $600K Seed Investment Round
- YouEarnedIt Welcomes New CEO Steve Semelsberger
- Emerging Technology Fund to Receive $50M
- Vista Equity Partners to Acquire Websense, Inc.
- Affinegy Names Frank LaBarbera SVP World Wide Sales and Marketing
- Austin’s tech scene 2001 vs 2011: Fewer workers but healthier ecosystem
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit in San Francisco on Sept. 19, 2013
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available
- Digital Kids Conference Earlybird Registration Extended to Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Digital Kids Conference Keynote Spotlight: Victor Lee of Hasbro