Today digital payment and marketing firm Edo Interactive announced that it had secured an $8.5 million equity investment, led by Clayton Associates along with First Avenue Partners. As a consequence, Edo will expand its board to include Matthew King of Clayton Associates and David Wilds of First Avenue Partners. The company intends to use the investment for technology development, personnel growth, and expanded marketing initiatives.
Edo Interactive produces Facecard, a special prepaid MasterCard aimed at teens and students. Parents and guardians can control how much money is tethered to an individual Facecard account, but the Facecard's holder is still free to use it to pay for items at any business that accepts MasterCard. In particular, a teen holder can use their Facecard to purchase virtual items in games and virtual worlds as easily as a banked user would a MasterCard.
Facecards are issued by MasterBank and offer users "prewards," digital coupons designed to increase a user's purchasing power. Partners offering prewards coupons through Facecard now include H&R Block, Baskin Robbins, and Coca Cola. Edo claims that through prewards, Facecard users can gain an extra $15 of purchasing power every month.
Edo also makes its card technology platform open to clients, who may use it to issue their own branded prepaid cards. AENTRA, for instance, uses the platform to issue prepaid cards suitable for gifts at weddings and baby showers. With prepaid cards taking off as a major way of funneling money from the young and unbanked into virtual worlds and online games, it has to be wondered if Facecard's "prewards" could lure young players away from using game-specific cards that don't offer similar benefits.
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit – Sept. 19 in San Francisco
- Microsoft Unveils Xbox One
- Microsoft to Reveal Next-Generation Xbox
- DHX Media Partners with YouTube on Paid Channels
- DreamWorks, Verizon Team on Million Dollar Turbo Racing League App Promo
- Apple App Store Hits 50 Billion Downloads
- Google Introduces Google Play for Education
- Kids Use iHeart Locket “Smart Necklace” to Connect with Diary App
- Warner Bros. Targets Girls with LEGO Friends for Nintendo
- AppCertain App Monitoring Service Debuts First App
- NASA Grants Austin Tech Company $125M for 3D Printer Outerspace Initiative
- Compare Metrics Collects $4.2M
- Open Labs Raises $800K from Timbaland
- SolarWinds Acquires N-able Technologies
- Postmaster Closes $600K Seed Investment Round
- YouEarnedIt Welcomes New CEO Steve Semelsberger
- Emerging Technology Fund to Receive $50M
- Vista Equity Partners to Acquire Websense, Inc.
- Affinegy Names Frank LaBarbera SVP World Wide Sales and Marketing
- Austin’s tech scene 2001 vs 2011: Fewer workers but healthier ecosystem
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit in San Francisco on Sept. 19, 2013
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available
- Digital Kids Conference Earlybird Registration Extended to Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Digital Kids Conference Keynote Spotlight: Victor Lee of Hasbro