Welcome to the
Virtual Goods News Wrap-Up for the week of May 8, 2009. The Wrap-Up
is where VGN spotlights stories that we didn't get to cover
individually, but still make for interesting reading about the virtual
While nothing here would be news to the loyal VGN reader, this article has done a lot to make the tech world sit up and take notice of how well virtual currency can monetize. It's also a good basic article in terms of explaining how virtual currency works and what makes it different from something like a poker chip.
A fairly simple story that flags up the broader issue of how rapidly-growing start-up Zynga allegedly treats its employees. Be sure to stay around for the comments, which include both glowing and hateful accounts of what it's like to work at Zynga.
An interesting paidContent.org look at what the top-selling virtual goods are in a variety of different virtual worlds and online games. The look at Tencent's pet penguin is probably the most interesting, since examples of what big-spending Chinese users actually buy in their software are hard to come by.
An Venture Beat interview from the middle of last month, but still worth checking out. There's not a lot of talk about virtual goods but what Hawkins does have to say is pretty interesting, as are his comments on scaling and cross-platform publishing.
MySpace monetized through ads better than any other social network, but a softening ad market is leaving its revenue streams vulnerable. What isn't clear is how MySpace is going to address the shortfall after its CEO changeover.
As part of the festivities celebrating its fourth anniversary, MapleStory announced its userbase had grown to 92 million users with 6 million in North America. Last time we checked in with MapleStory in early February Nexon was claiming 87 million users for the game, so it's picked up an extra 5 million just in the past two months.
After losing the official World of Warcraft license to competitor NetEase, The9 has chosen to strike back at Blizzard by launching an incredibly similar-looking game called World of Fight. It's not known how the game intends to monetize, but it will be interesting to see Worlf of Fight is enough to keep The9 in business.
VERN takes a look at the mechanics and culture associated with the largely Chinese-operated grey market RMT phenomenon. It mostly confirms facts from Eurogamer's earlier investigation into the subject, but the presentation here is nicely focused.
Virtual goods charity promotions are getting more commonplace, and Yo!Ville's has performed well by those standards. The charity goods were virtual dog and cat pets wearing SPCA vests that users could adopt.
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- Hasbro and DeNA Partner on Free-to-Play Mobile Games
- KingsIsle Brings Two New Worlds to Pirate101
- Disney Junior Extends Appisodes to UK
- Yahoo! Acquires PlayerScale Gaming Company
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit – Sept. 19 in San Francisco
- Microsoft Unveils Xbox One
- Microsoft to Reveal Next-Generation Xbox
- DHX Media Partners with YouTube on Paid Channels
- DreamWorks, Verizon Team on Million Dollar Turbo Racing League App Promo
- Apple App Store Hits 50 Billion Downloads
- Austin Ventures Seeks $450M to Fund Younger Companies
- Datical Closes $1M Financing
- Guest Blog: Angelhack Coming to Austin June, 2013
- Tonic Health Enlists in Gazzang for Data Security
- NASA Grants Austin Tech Company $125M for 3D Printer Outerspace Initiative
- Compare Metrics Collects $4.2M
- Open Labs Raises $800K from Timbaland
- SolarWinds Acquires N-able Technologies
- Postmaster Closes $600K Seed Investment Round
- YouEarnedIt Welcomes New CEO Steve Semelsberger
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit in San Francisco on Sept. 19, 2013
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available
- Digital Kids Conference Earlybird Registration Extended to Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Digital Kids Conference Keynote Spotlight: Victor Lee of Hasbro