Last month we reported that the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) of Singapore had issued a
request for a 3D virtual world aimed at providing a "robust,
interactive and engaging, entertaining and educational" for the 2010 Youth Olympics. The tender closed last night, and the IDA has posted the names and amounts of the eight tendered offers. Be International, Dream Axis, IBM Singapore, Infocomm Asia Holdings, PCS Security, Simulation Software & Technology (S2T), ST Electronics, and Stratech Systems are all in the running.
Some of the names stick out as obvious players in the space, like IBM Singapore. Infocomm Asia Holdings is a distributor and operator of games and MMOs in Singapore. It's also involved with a number of educational initiatives, bringing digital media and games into the classroom. With the IDA hoping for the virtual world to be transitioned into an educational platform after the Olympics are over, IAH's practice could bring it in line there.
Dream Axis is a metaverse services company, working with both brands and educators to create experiences in virtual worlds. Its tender includes four companies, so it may also be working with a platform provider. Judging by its site, that could include Second Life, OpenSim, HiPiHi, Twinity, or There.com.
The other companies I'm less familiar with. Be International appears to be an ad agency. S2T and ST Electronics both work with 3D simulations for training and education. Stratech seems fairly varied, offering products that include surveilance, transportation, and general systems, but nothing that seems virtual world related offhand. Likewise, PCS Security seems to be involved with, well, security more than virtual worlds.
The IDA hasn't posted the actual tenders, just the names and amounts. Stratech comes in at the most expensive for SGD$15,247,876 (about US$10.2 million). ST and IBM aren't far behind with SGD$13.9 million and SGD$13.6 million respectively. Infocomm offered the lowest tender at SGD$2.5 million.
There's not an easy link to the info, but you can access it at http://www.gebiz.gov.sg under "Past Opportunities" and "Tenders and Quotations." Just search for "virtual world."
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit – Sept. 19 in San Francisco
- Microsoft Unveils Xbox One
- Microsoft to Reveal Next-Generation Xbox
- DHX Media Partners with YouTube on Paid Channels
- DreamWorks, Verizon Team on Million Dollar Turbo Racing League App Promo
- Apple App Store Hits 50 Billion Downloads
- Google Introduces Google Play for Education
- Kids Use iHeart Locket “Smart Necklace” to Connect with Diary App
- Warner Bros. Targets Girls with LEGO Friends for Nintendo
- AppCertain App Monitoring Service Debuts First App
- NASA Grants Austin Tech Company $125M for 3D Printer Outerspace Initiative
- Compare Metrics Collects $4.2M
- Open Labs Raises $800K from Timbaland
- SolarWinds Acquires N-able Technologies
- Postmaster Closes $600K Seed Investment Round
- YouEarnedIt Welcomes New CEO Steve Semelsberger
- Emerging Technology Fund to Receive $50M
- Vista Equity Partners to Acquire Websense, Inc.
- Affinegy Names Frank LaBarbera SVP World Wide Sales and Marketing
- Austin’s tech scene 2001 vs 2011: Fewer workers but healthier ecosystem
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit in San Francisco on Sept. 19, 2013
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available
- Digital Kids Conference Earlybird Registration Extended to Tuesday, Jan. 15
- Digital Kids Conference Keynote Spotlight: Victor Lee of Hasbro