Taatu announced today that it had closed a €1.9 million (about $2.64 million) round of funding led by the Belgian-based BAMS Angels Fund with participation from international professionals in association with the original investors Genesis Technology, Madian and SF Investments. The virtual world for teens and young adults began in Belgium and last year branched out to an English-language version. Taatu has found some of its biggest success creating and operating StarAc’ World, an extension of the American Idol-style, French-music competition Star Academy. The virtual world for Star Academy launched in 2007 and has been picked up for 2008′s season as well.
This year Taatu also launched "Plus belle la life," a virtual world extension to the French soap opera "Plus belle la vie," working with Telfrance Series and France 3. The show, which recently broadcast its 1000th episode after 4 years, garners an audience of about 6-7 million.
"The producer wanted to set up a new way to continue the series and bring it to life in the virtual world. We’ve got a pretty good anchor on the television with France 3, and it’s been very successful," Philippe Moitroux, CEO of Taatu, told me. "It’s a three-year project, and we are now 2.5 months into the concept with a minimum of 2 years planned."
Taatu says that it has achieved triple-digit annual growth since its launch and is approaching one million members. With its recent expansion to the English language, Taatu is looking to bring in brands from those new markets.
"We are in deep conversations with different producers and TV executives from the UK and other countries," said Moitroux. "That’s definitely a focus. The English-speaking world is the next phase, and we’ll have some highly visible projects."
The new funding will go towards developing Taatu, both for similar
advertising and for its consumer-targeted virtual goods model.
"The particular focus is on the virtual world extension of our major projects so we can specialize working with producers, broadcasters, and movies using our platform, which we believe is the best platform in the world for these multimedia experiences," Moitroux explained. "It’s Web-based and open to the masses, and we are fully multimedia enabled to do live, recorded, and synchronized performances. We deliver the full solution to partners who are bringing in brands and content."
Join us for App Conference – October 18-19, 2012 in Santa Clara
- L.A. School Board Awards Apple $30M Contract for Student iPads
- Kindle FreeTime Unlimited Adds Content from Disney, Warner Bros., Interactive Entertainment and EA
- Disney Interactive to Launch Where’s My Mickey? App
- Amplify Launches Digital Gaming Package for Schools
- Company Profile: JoyTunes Tablet Technology Makes Practicing Real Instruments Fun
- Outfit7 Talking Friends Apps Reaches One Billion Downloads
- Jim Henson Company to Debut Interactive Chatter Zoo Property for Infants
- Janet Scardino Appointed Saban Brands Chief Operating Officer
- Draw-Your-Own-Game App Pixel Press Launches First Playable Prototype
- Cupcake Digital, Nelvana Enterprises & Clifford Ross Company Partner to Create Babar App Series
- RenewData Appoints Marketing VP
- MapMyFitness Collects $5M in Funding
- National Instruments Partners with Kollmorgen to Provide Advanced Servo Solutions
- Resonant Inc. Raises $7M Private Placement
- Quarri Technologies Snags $499K Financing
- RetailMeNot Files for $230M IPO
- Calxeda Parnters with Penguin Computing & Inktank in Coud Storage Initiative
- e-MDs Relocates and Expands Headquarters in Austin Area
- Webcore Technologies Acquires Tenant Solutions
- Excelleration Medtech Snags $4.2M Financing
- 17 Companies Scheduled to Recruit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- LabDoor Wins AARP Health Innovation50+ LivePitch 2013 Consumer and Investor Awards
- Announcing Digital Kids Summit in San Francisco on Sept. 19, 2013
- Attend or Exhibit at Tech Career Expo WWDC
- Only 20 Days to AARP Health Innovation 50+ LivePitch
- AARP Health Innovation@50+ LivePitch Judges Announced
- 4,100 Job Seekers Participate In Sell-Out Tech Career Expo Austin 2013
- Video Walkthrough of the Tech Career Expo Austin
- Engage Digital To Support 2nd Annual AARP Health Innovation@50 + Startup Pitch Event
- Caprese Skewers passed around by the Dell and Pandora Tables at The Tech Career Expo
- Geeks Rule at the Austin Tech Career Expo Next Week
- Get your LinkedIn Profile and Top 3 Skills In Front of 47 Innovative Companies
- Microsoft, General Motors, Mitratech, Myspace, Digby and HostGator.com Join Tech Career Expo Austin Line Up
- Digital Kids Conference Registration Ends Tomorrow, Friday, Feb. 8th
- Tech Career Expo Returns to Austin, March 8-9, for Annual Technology Recruiting Bonanza
- Engage Digital and kidSAFE® Seal Program Launch First Ever Digital Kids Safety Summit
- Digital Kids Conference Emcee Spotlight: Joi Podgorny and Richard Gottlieb
- Introducing KidsWire
- Earlybird Registration Ends Tomorrow! Register Now.
- Tech Career Expo Austin has the Jobs You Need: 1,100 Open Positions Available